Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sundays in my City #12 - Last Sunday at Kokoda

I didn't get a chance to play along with Sundays in my City last week.  I had a really good excuse, I was in Kokoda and completely out of range for any wifi.  In fact, there was no phone coverage, no electricity and not that it has any impact upon my ability to blog, there was no plumbing either!  Even if I did work out how to connect via the emergency sat phone, I really didn't have any room in my backpack to carry a laptop (not even my tiny little macbook air!) as my pack was already 20kg and jam packed with essentials like sleeping gear, a tent, food and water.

Instead I made the most of the beautiful surroundings, got to know the wonderful people that I was sharing the journey with and we walked.  Over 8 days we walked from Kokoda to Owers Corner - 96km of back breaking trekking, through tropical jungles and over a mountain ranges.  It was stunning.

Walking along the airfield as our plane takes off.

Being welcomed to Kokokda.

Remembering where I injured myself last year! (Who needs ankle ligaments anyway?)

The view from lunch at Deniki
There are so many more photos to add and memories to share in the coming weeks, in the meantime, there are a few pics and articles over here if you want to know more.


If you want to join in the fun of Sundays in my City too, click on over to Unknown Mami.

Unknown Mami

7 comments:

  1. Totally jealous of your hiking adventure. Your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ankle ligaments are totally overrated...NOT! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tell me does this mean you made it in one piece this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Third time is a charm - injury and illness free!

      Delete
  4. wow, this I call traveling - carrying your own bed and food, well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. kingsonthelake9:51 PM

    What an achievement Del, you are so strong and determined and I'm sure this got you through unscathed this time, maybe it is 3rd. time lucky. Beautiful pics. xx

    ReplyDelete

Please show that you were here and leave some comment love!